Sony Xperia ZL can behave on a superior note if you get it updated to Jelly Bean 4.2.2.
What you should be doing to see what we mean for yourselves is to follow this guide that concentrates on how to flash Avatar custom ROM on your handset and get the Jelly Bean update among its features.
Avatar custom ROM is a tool that requires some tasks first. Here they are: root your phone and get a custom recovery image flashed on it afterwards, charge its battery, turn on USB debugging, create as many backups as are necessary in your opinion (include a NANDroid backup as well) and uninstall the security software running on your phone and your laptop alike.
These requirements must be followed by a bunch of steps which will complete our tutorial. But before we present them to you, you should be aware of the following: after the update is on your Xperia ZL, its warranty will no longer be available. Which is why you will have to either upgrade to an official version of the JB operating system or return it to the default ROM.
We have now reached the part where we introduce the steps mentioned in the previous paragraph.
- Begin the guide by doing what the first step tells you to: download and then the Google Apps package, from here (you should choose the file labelled gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip) on your laptop. This should be followed by the plugging of your Xperia ZL to your PC with the USB cable offered to you by the manufacturer. The devices will be connected to one another in a matter of seconds.
- Step number two gives you these tasks: transfer the files from step one from your notebook to your phone’s SD card root and unplug it from the computer after the transfer is over.
- Step three will ask you to switch the Xperia ZL and, after that’s done, you have to boot it into Recovery Mode and then look for a menu that will pop on the screen shortly afterwards.
- Step four needs the following from you: choose, from that menu, three options. Here are their names: Factory Reset/Wipe Data, followed by Wipe Cache Partition and then Wipe Dalvik Cache. Once you’ve opted for those three, you need to choose +++Go back+++.
- Step five will prompt you to go back to the main menu of your Xperia ZL and choose, when there, the options that you must install the Avatar custom ROM zip archive from the memory card and then Choose zip from SD card. Your task now should be the following: opt for the firmware file; as soon as you do that, its installation will start.
- [sc name=”banner-jos”]Now let’s find out what’s in store for step number six: flash the Gapps package by doing exactly what you did for the fifth step. Be careful to choose the package we indicated in step six instead of the one in step five. The installation will not last long; when it ends, opt for +++Go back+++.
- Choose the system restarting option.
Your Sony Xperia ZL should now have an updated operating system. To get the smartphone unstuck from boot loop, you need to do this: reboot it into Recovery and then perform a wipe of the system again until you receive the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 update on your device.
My name is Mark, I am a new chief editor of this blog, freelance writer, entrepreneur, and simply a technology lover. Currently a proud owner of a Google Pixel 4a.