Your Galaxy Nexus S GT-I9020 is the pick for a tutorial we wanted to write some time ago. Its subject: how to update the phone to Jelly Bean 4.2.2 with the use of ThinkingBridge Stable 2 custom ROM.
Among the most relevant features belonging to this tool is its excellent UI, custom camera options, great stability and so on.
pre-requisites that you will be asked to comply with are the following: turn on USB debugging, flash USB drivers for this handset on your handset, use the Nexus S I9020 that is bootloader and also carrier unlocked, create backups via our instructions and charge the battery.
You must also consider backing up the data on the internal memory of the smartphone; this data should be saved on a dedicated hard drive.
- This guide needs to start with these tasks: download and Gapps archive (you must choose the file labelled gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip) on your laptop.
- Take the USB cord of the smartphone next, then use it to plug the device to your notebook. What should be done next: transfer the two zip files from where they currently are to the handset’s SD card. As soon as this copy + paste has been performed, you should unplug the phone from the PC.
- After the Nexus S GT-I9020 is turned off, you need to enter it in Recovery Mode by pressing and holding this combination of keys at the same time: Volume Down, Volume Up and Power.
- The display should flash; it’s time to release those keys and then opt for Factory reset/Wipe data, confirm this with “Yes”, go back to the Recovery Menu of the phone after you’re done and then choose Wipe cache partition. End this wiping process by opting for Wipe dalvik cache.
- You should now do the following: choose Install zip from SD card.
- Once this is performed, you will have to opt for Choose zip from SD card, then be sure you choose the thinkingbridge_crespo_stable2_13-05-07.zip via the Power key; this requires a confirmation.
- Now wait for the flashing to begin; once the firmware is on your I9020, you will have to also grab the Google Apps package. This is done like this: do what you had to do to install the ThinkingBridge Stable 2 ROM earlier (from the part that begins with “choose Install zip from SD card” till “this requires a confirmation”).
- [sc name=”banner-jos”]Return to the handset’s Recovery Menu when the packages are where they should be. Here’s what to do now: opt for the system restarting option, then do something else while the Nexus S GT-I9020 commences to boot into the firmware it needs to have it updated to the Android 4.2.2. You will find the tool in the “About phone”.
Should your device show you “Status 7 error” while you work your way around this tutorial, there’s one way to take care of this issue: install a compatible kernel on the smartphone before you go and flash the ThinkingBridge Stable 2 ROM.
On the other hand, if your phone is blocked into an infinite boot loop, then do this: perform Wipe Cache Partition and then Wipe Dalvik Cache and restart the device.
My name is Mark, I am a new chief editor of this blog, freelance writer, entrepreneur, and simply a technology lover. Currently a proud owner of a Google Pixel 4a.