Let your Galaxy Note 2 SCH-i605 from Verizon enjoy an update to AOKP Jelly Bean 4.3 custom ROM as detailed in today’s guide. If your choice rests with this firmware, there are some issues to expect from it: the camera will not perform well, same with the phone’s Bluetooth, several functions are not well supported and the GPS will fail to deliver well.
We recommend you to install this tool only if you wish to see how it works on your device. Or, if you want to keep it for good on your handset, make sure you create a NANDroid backup.
following requirements should be observed:
- root the phone using one of our guides;
- get a custom recovery image flashed on it;
- use only the model which isn’t locked to the factory;
- download the (file name: aokp_i605_unofficial_2013-09-02.zip) and Gapps archive on your notebook (from this place);
- charge the battery of your handset;
- turn on USB Debugging.
How to flash AOKP 4.3 Alpha Build ROM on your phone
- On to the steps that tell you how to install the AOKP Jelly Bean 4.3 based ROM on the Galaxy Note 2 SCH-i605. Plug the smartphone to the laptop first, and then make sure to take the packages from the latter to the SD card root of the former.
- Now unplug your phone from your laptop and then switch the former off. Enter the i605 into Recovery Mode, then make a NANDroid backup, a process which depends on what type of custom recovery your phablet has. If it’s ClockworkMod Recovery, we recommend you to choose Backup&Restore, save the backup file from the menu that will appear, then confirm. However, if the TeamWin Recovery Project is used instead, you have to tap “Backup” and when you’re done, do this: opt for those files that need a backup; confirm.
- The next task which must be performed: apply a Factory Reset, which also depends on whether your phone has the CWM or the TWRP installed. If it’s the first example, you should choose Factory Reset/Wipe Data; then confirm. If you have the second recovery image on your phablet, tap “Wipe”, click on “Factory reset” and confirm.
- To flash the firmware on your phone, you need to opt for Install zip from SD card and for Choose zip from SD card should your device have the CWM Recovery. In case the TWRP is used by your smartphone, you will be asked to tap “Install”, look for the aokp_i605_unofficial_2013-09-02.zip archive and confirm its flashing; the latter is done by sliding a blue-colored key.
- Now wait for the ROM to land on your Galaxy Note 2 SCH-i605. Then flash the Gapps package by repeating the actions performed for the installation of the other firmware.
- Go back to the Recovery Menu and, from there, be sure to restart the handset in Normal Mode. After the phone reboots into that mode, you will see the home screen of the ROM appear.
From this moment on, make sure to enter your personal data into your Google account. Then experience the new features, enhanced performance and such delivered by the new AOKP custom ROM. Don’t forget that the latter shouldn’t run as the main operating system of your Verizon Galaxy Note 2. To do that, wait for the version which will offer more stability.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The full NANDroid backup we recommended not too long ago will be very useful in case you want the old ROM back on your device. To gain access to the backup, use the Recovery Mode.
Should the first booting into the firmware need more than 15 minutes, you have to do this: switch the phone off and after that boot into the Recovery Mode. Then redo the guide. If a boot loop happens, you should do the same.
My name is Mark, I am a new chief editor of this blog, freelance writer, entrepreneur, and simply a technology lover. Currently a proud owner of a Google Pixel 4a.