If you’re all ready to have your HTC Evo 3D (GSM) updated to Jelly Bean 4.2.2, the newest version that is, you can do so if you use CM10.1 custom ROM as described in this tutorial.
The firmware doesn’t come from HTC themselves, but it is of great help to your phone, in part thanks to the features it delivers; some of them: camera, stability, Bluetooth, camcorder and Google Now. All of them will help improve the device’s performance by a lot.
have these pre-requisites for you to look at: turn on the phone’s USB debugging option, make backups using our instructions (which need to include one for the data that’s on the internal memory of the smartphone, so be sure to back it up to an external SD card), flash the USB drivers that are good for your handset on your laptop, charge the battery and only use the model which is bootloader and carrier unlocked.
- Here is what you should be doing to update your phone. And we’ll begin with the following advice: make room, on your laptop, for the (the archive is labelled cm-10.1-20130518-UNOFFICIAL-shooteru.zip) and Gapps package (you must select this version of the file: gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip).
- After you’ve downloaded both of them, you should move on by plugging your smartphone to your notebook; afterwards you have to copy paste the files from the notebook to the SD card of the EVO 3D, then wait for the transfer to end.
- Afterwards you will need to unplug the products from one another. To boot the handset into Recovery Mode, do as follows: first power it off and then press + hold, at the same time, Volume Down and Power; once the device is in HBOOT menu, you need to opt for Recovery.
- Now go on with the guide by operating several tasks that are going to wipe the system. The first of these actions consists in this: choose Factory Reset/Wipe Data, opt for “Yes” and wait a bit before going back to the Recovery Menu. The second wiping task needs to happen like this: choose Wipe Cache Partition. Last action of wiping for today: opt for Wipe Dalvik Cache.
- If you think you’re done with these three wiping procedures, you should now concentrate on choosing these options: Install zip from SD card and after that Choose zip from SD card.
- To flash the CM10.1 file you have to choose it with Power after you’ve found where it is. Then make sure you complete the flashing by confirming the action you just did.
- Have patience, then flash the Google Apps by repeating the actions from the previous paragraph, then confirm and wait some more again.
- As soon as you have returned to the phone’s Recovery Menu, you need to opt for the system restarting option. After your HTC EVO 3D boots into the update firmware, you can check it out by going to the handset’s “About phone”.
But what needs to be done if you aren’t satisfied with the new Jelly Bean 4.2.2 custom ROM? You can return to the one which came with your phone when you bought it. By doing the following: boot the device into Recovery, choose Backup&Restore, opt for the ROM from a list and it will land on your smartphone again.
If the display of the EVO 3D shows “Status 7 error”, you need to flash a related kernel on the handset first and foremost and then proceed to installing the CM10.1 custom ROM. To help your smartphone get unstuck from either a boot loop or the manufacturer’s logo, you should perform the following: Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache, after which don’t forget to reboot the phone.
My name is Mark, I am a new chief editor of this blog, freelance writer, entrepreneur, and simply a technology lover. Currently a proud owner of a Google Pixel 4a.