If you thought all Samsung gadgets released a couple of months ago came with the new Jelly Bean operating system, you were wrong. The Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G and many more are the exceptions. But, like in the case of the other models we already talked about in our set of How to, there is a way to get that update on your phone. With the help of developers who work hard on making this possible via custom ROMs.
When we say developers, we mean people at XDA Developers. For the S2 GT-I9100G, the upgrade to the Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean is offered by a member there, named samyam2002000. He created a custom ROM whose instructions we are about to list in a couple of minutes.
installing the custom ROM based off of Clean Android 4.1.1 Version 4, there are some things to bear in mind, without which the process will not go as it should. The Codename Android custom ROM should only be installed on the GT-I9100G model. If you don’t do this, you will break whatever smartphone or tablet you are using it on. Therefore, we are not to be held guilty if you fail to keep this in mind.
Here is what you will have to do to get this custom ROM on your phone.
- This smartphone needs to have the ClockworkMod Recovery installed on it. The operating system it should run is the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich with the XXLPQ firmware. Once you check these and see they’re there, just download these files to a laptop or PC: (a file called gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip) and then (a file called codenameandroid-3.4.1-i9100g.zip file).
- If the battery is less than 70%, charge the phone.
- The next step is to protect every important info and data you have on your phone by doing a backup.
- What comes next is that you have to copy the GApps files pack from here and the ROM file to the internal SD memory card of the device.
- After this is completed, simply boot the device into the mode called Recovery (for that press and also hold down the keys labeled Volume Up, Home and Power).
- Immediately afterwards make sure to create a NANDroid data backup using this method. To do that, select the Backup the files > Restore option. Then the Backup once again.
- Opting for Factory reset/Wipe data is the next step of the process. After which comes the confirmation in the next step, on the screen that appears.
- By selecting the installation of the ZIP file from the SD card you get to the following step. Which is to select Choose ZIP from SD card.
- [sc name=”banner-jos”]Then you need to select the option called Codename Android ROM. That will install the Codename Android custom ROM on your phone.
- At the end of that you must go through the step that says to choose the installation of the ZIP file from the SD card, select Choose ZIP from SD card and then the Codename Android custom ROM option that appears on the screen.
- After you repeat that step, select the GApps files pack. This is going to install the GApps pack on the S2.
- After the installation finishes, select the return option. Then Factory reset/Wipe data.
- A confirmation of that will be needed next. Do that at the next level.
- The final step of the update is to simply restart the entire system once again. The end.
The Codename Android custom ROM used to give the user of Galaxy S2 I9100G the Jelly Bean 4.1.1 is a way to offer every cool thing that’s on this OS. Like for example a custom ringtone delay, a Trebuchet Custom Launcher, a File Manager and many other nice features which will be entertaining to use.
My name is Mark, I am a new chief editor of this blog, freelance writer, entrepreneur, and simply a technology lover. Currently a proud owner of a Google Pixel 4a.