Galaxy S Captivate SGH-I896 is an amazing device for a lot of users who would like to know how they can update it to Jelly Bean 4.2.2. There exists a way to do it and it’s called SlimBean Build 5. Things like system stability, triggering and so on will be much better. Also, you will get a hands-free camera, more languages and many other features.
SlimBean Build 5 ROM needs your smartphone to pass through some pre-requisites first. Here they are: flash USB drivers for it on your notebook, create a backup using this tutorial and don’t forget to also backup the data of the internal memory to a dedicated hard disk, use the S Captivate I896 that is already fully unlocked, turn on USB debugging and charge the battery of your handset.
- First step to start performing for our guide: download and on your computer. The latter and your smartphone will have to be plugged to each other afterwards, because the two zip files you downloaded have to move from your PC to the SD card root of your S Captivate I896. Unplug the two after the SlimBean Build 5 ROM and the Gapps are sent to that place.
- Turn the handset off.
- Press and hold Volume Down, Volume Up and Power to send the smartphone into Recovery Mode; when its display shows signs of flashing, you need to stop using those buttons.
- For step four you will need to operate several tasks that will wipe the system. First task: opt for Factory reset/Wipe data; tap on Yes. Second one: go to the Recovery Menu and choose Wipe Cache Partition. Third task: select Wipe Dalvik Cache.
- In step five, you will have to opt for Install zip from SD card.
- For the sixth step you should select Choose zip from SD card. Step six will ask you this: press Power to have the SlimBean Build 5 ROM zip file flashed on the phone; confirm what you just performed.
- Step seven: to be able to flash the Google Apps package, you should just repeat steps number five and six. After making sure that both these zip files are installed on your Galaxy S Captivate SGH-I896, you need to return to the Recovery Menu.
- Last step is the eighth and it prompts you to opt for the phone’s restarting. After doing that, the handset is going to boot and it will feature the SlimBean Build 5 in its “About phone” location.
However, there will be cases when people who have updated their phone to a new version of OS will wish to return to the default ROM. If you are one of them: boot the Captivate I896 into recovery, opt for Backup&Restore and choose the ROM from a list appearing on your device’s touchscreen.
“Status 7 error” is a message which you can see on the phone’s screen during this guide. To solve this type of problem: find and flash a compatible kernel, then flash the SlimBean Build 5 ROM. A boot loop can be solved like this: perform Wipe Cache Partition and then Wipe Dalvik Cache. Now reboot the device. Apply this mini tutorial if you happen to notice the Captivate I896 remain stuck in a logo.
My name is Mark, I am a new chief editor of this blog, freelance writer, entrepreneur, and simply a technology lover. Currently a proud owner of a Google Pixel 4a.