In today’s post we provide an update method for Galaxy Tab S 10.5 SM-T805Y. Nothing about this procedure is difficult. When you’ve completed our guide, you will have a new device in your possession!
When there’s an upgrade going on, you have every chance of ending up with a device that feels really new. The firmware which helps with this is official. Its name is Android 4.4.2 KitKat DOU1ANF8. The release date of this firmware is July. The tool used today was launched for Australia.
The update can be performed via another method than the one described here. And that is Samsung’s KIES software. But you won’t be able to use it here; the KIES logo on this firmware is deactivated. As such, you can opt for OTA instead. If you do, then make sure your tablet comes with stock ROM.
The benefits of this official firmware
In case your device is the Galaxy Tab S 10.5 SM-T805Y, you’re doing it right. If you don’t have this model, you should opt for another guide; ours will only damage your gadget.
The tablet can be upgraded right away. Before you follow the necessary steps, there is something you should know. An update performed on a device with root access will revoke the rooting procedure. Also, the device will no longer contain its system partition. The procedure you’ll perform shortly won’t erase important data. It will also make sure that the tablet’s internal and external SD cards aren’t affected.
As soon as you have an updated device, a wide variety of goodies will become yours to enjoy. Among them: new apps. Your tablet is going to contain these as well: battery tweaks and new features. Alongside them you’ll have customization options and superior CPU speeds. This should also be mentioned: the update doesn’t pose security threats. The Android 4.4.2 DOU1ANF8 won’t leave bloatware on your tablet.
You have to start our tutorial by applying some requirements. They are all displayed now:
- your laptop has to feature USB drivers that only work with your tablet;
- download them from this address;
- you should turn off, on the laptop, the programs which protect it from security threats;
- this has to happen with the security programs running on your phone, too, so turn those off now;
- make one or several regular backups;
- generate a full NANDroid backup via this tutorial;
- the tablet’s USB Debugging must be turned on;
- the battery of your tablet has to be charged at its fullest;
- the laptop you’re using to upgrade the Samsung SM-T805Y must run Windows;
Step by step instructions
Here you go with the update steps.
- First, download Odin v3.09 from this location on your laptop. Then make some room for official firmware, too. The version for Australia should be downloaded.
- Now that these two are delivered to your device, extract them. You have many tools you can use for this phase; WinRar, 7Zip and WinZip are some of them.
- When you’ve selected the right tool and the unzipping is done, launch a file on your laptop. It’s this one: Odin v3.09.exe. The Samsung SM-T805Y has to enter Download Mode.
- This action must be done by pressing and holding these 3 buttons first: Home, Power and Volume Down. Once you are shown a boot message on-screen, you have to press Volume Up instead of the other buttons.
- You now have to provide a connection between the tablet and laptop. For this, take the tablet’s USB cord and use it.
- The connection will be achieved when Odin displays a sign colored in blue. Once the plugging’s created, youhave to add the firmware file to AP / PDA.
- After that, activate Auto Reboot. The next box to tick is called F. Reset Time. The following must be unchecked: Re-partition. Your tablet is now ready for the upgrade.
- [sc name=”banner-jos”]Begin the process by clicking on “Start“. The next thing to do: have some patience. The installation of the new firmware will only take around 15 minutes. And it will end when this message appears in a green box: “Pass”.
- Wait for the SM-T805Y to start again. If it has, unplug it from your laptop; remove the USB cable to achieve this. Continue with this last step: tap the options known as Settings and About Tablet.
The novelties can now be explored. If you don’t approve of them, the former ROM can be brought back. Which means that the update has to be revoked. If you wat to do it, use the NANDroid backup file.
You have a comment field under this post. It can be used if you have questions regarding today’s procedure.
My name is Mark, I am a new chief editor of this blog, freelance writer, entrepreneur, and simply a technology lover. Currently a proud owner of a Google Pixel 4a.