If your plan is to one day update Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 with Android 4.2.2 XXUBMG5 Jelly Bean official firmware, then you’d better take full advantage of this tutorial.
Besides the obvious requirements and whatnot, our guide tells you what steps to follow for the said update.
see to those pre-requisites first: use the carrier + factory unlocked Galaxy S4 I9505 for the tutorial, turn on USB Debugging on the handset, flash USB drivers for this device on your notebook (you must use this link), charge its battery and create backups via these instructions.
How to flash XXUBMG5 on Galaxy S4
- Now it’s time for the update to start. Go search for the following packages and download them on your PC: the (I9505XXUBMG5_I9505OLBBMG1_XSP.zip) and Odin tool 3.07 from here.
- Save them on your device and then unzip them; .tar.md5 and Odin tool v3.07.exe are some of the files which you should keep an eye out on, then switch the Galaxy S4 I9505 off.
- After the handset is powered off, it has to enter Download Mode like this: press and hold Volume Down, Home and Power at the same time for starters; then, as soon as Android’s logo appears and there is also a “!”, you should press Volume Up. Run, once the phone is in the Download Mode, the Odin as Admin.
- Now proceed in the following manner: plug the smartphone to your PC and keep cool while your handset is detected; when it is, you will see “Added!!” and a yellow ID:COM box. If nothing like that shows up, it’s good to do as follows: either try a different USB port than usual or flash the USB Drivers again.
- Here are the actions you should perform: choose PDA and then go for a file which has either an .md5 or a .tar extension, then tap Phone and opt for a file boasting MODEM as part of its name.
- After that you should tap CSC, select a file that has CSC in its name, then continue by doing the following: click on PIT and opt for a .pit file this time.
- Then select Re-partition, F. Reset Time and Auto Reboot; the first option should only be selected should you have opted for the .pit file.
- The update file needs to be flashed on your Galaxy S4 I9505 by clicking on START. Now you need to have patience and then, once the file is on the smartphone, you have to wait for the following to happen: the handset to be turned on by itself and for a message saying PASS (and a green background to go with it) to appear.
- [sc name=”banner-jos”]If both things happen one after the other, then you will be asked to unplug your phone from your laptop. The Android 4.2.2 XXUBMG5 Jelly Bean official firmware is inside your device’s “About phone” that can be accessed by launching Settings on the phone.
NOTE: Say that the following happens during the tutorial: the smartphone remains stuck in boot animation and you don’t know what exactly to do to in such a case.
The easiest solution at hand is this one: at first you need to go to Recovery Mode and then operate the following: Factory Reset/Wipe Data and after that Wipe Cache Partition. Wait for a few minutes, then opt for the phone’s restarting option. Your Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 will no longer display that problem. So just enjoy your updated handset in peace and tell us if you encounter any other issues. If you decide to root it later, you can use our dedicated guide for that.
My name is Mark, I am a new chief editor of this blog, freelance writer, entrepreneur, and simply a technology lover. Currently a proud owner of a Google Pixel 4a.