Even if Google released their Android 4.1 Jelly Bean operating system not so long ago already, a good deal of gadgets still feature the Ice Cream Sandwich. Or, worse, the Gingerbread version. This is the reason why the majority of these gadgets’ owners want to have the latest OS as quickly as possible, legally or illegally. Because that means that you can have access to every single goodie this operating system has in its purest and unaltered form. This is where custom ROMs come in to save the day for us all.
Usually, developers are the ones to provide these little helpers to make everyone gain access to all the lovely stuff the Android Jelly Bean OS has to offer. The solution that will flash this version on your Asus Nexus 7 is called AOKP ROMs for Nexus 7. And it is all official, so you won’t have to spend hours wondering if you’ll get a bug. You won’t. But what you will have to do will be to only install this on a Asus Nexus 7.
Other gadgets will not benefit from it and they may very well stop working if you start the installation of this custom ROM we mentioned. Now, before proceeding to give our readers the instructions they will need to follow 100% if they want this to go without a glitch, we will lay out some requirements. If they fail to perform all the steps and fulfill all the requirements, the installation process will not go well in the end.
will need to have the Asus Nexus 7 featuring the ClockworkMod Recovery and also an unlocked bootloader. If your model has them, proceed to downloading the Google Apps package from here (a file called gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip) and the AOKP ROM file (a file called aokp_grouper_Aug-24-12.zip), too.
If you download only one of them, the installation will be faulty and you won’t get to use the Jelly Bean operating system on your tablet. The final requirement is to secure the important data on your Nexus 7 so it won’t be lost. To do that, perform a backup. It won’t take long and it will be a way to keep every bit of important data unaltered.
As for how to get the AOKP ROMs for Nexus 7 on your tablet, here are the steps you must follow exactly as we wrote them. And be sure to pay extra attention to them.
- First step is to copy the ROM file and the Google Apps package to the SD card of your Nexus 7.
- Second step is to switch the device off.
- Third step: boot into Recovery, which is doable via a simultaneous pressing and holding down the Volume Up, Volume Down and Power keys.
- Making a NANDroid backup of the ROM of the tablet is the fourth step. In order to achieve that without problems, you have to go to Backup & Restore. Once there, you need to opt for Backup.
- [sc name=”banner-jos”]Fifth step is choosing the Factory Reset/Wipe data option. This must be confirmed on the next screen.
- Selecting Install ZIP from SD card is step number 6.
- Step 7 is the selection of Choose ZIP from SD card and the AOKP ROM file.
- The eights step is to flash the Google Apps package, after the complete installation of that ROM file, like what you did in steps 6 and 7.
- Step 9: select Go back. The tenth and final step is to choose the Reboot system now option.
At the end of all this process you will be able to enjoy AOKP toggles, options for the tablet’s lockscreen, navigation customization and all the other neat things that the pure AOKP ROM has to offer for the pure version of the Jelly Bean OS on the Asus Nexus 7 tablet.
My name is Mark, I am a new chief editor of this blog, freelance writer, entrepreneur, and simply a technology lover. Currently a proud owner of a Google Pixel 4a.